Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hand Wreath


This was inspired by an hand wreath my son made when he was in grade school, except I used fun foam sheets instead of construction paper to make it more durable as it is going to his Dad's house and will probably still be up come July.   Total cost was under $2.

Items used:
  • Fun foam craft, construction paper, cardboard or paper
  • Scissors
  • Pen
  • 9-12 inch cardboard circle (cardboard bottom of a frozen pizza)
  • 1 yd. ribbon
  • Decorative pick or picture
  • Tab off the top of a pop can
  • Craft glue and/or hot glue gun 
  • Acrylic paint
  • Paint brush
  • Tape
Place hand flat on surface used and draw around it with a pen.  The hand used of this wreath is that of my 16 year old son whose hands at least a fingertip length longer than mine and we only needed to draw a few.  I used 1 large and 1 small sheet of craft foam.














If smaller hands are used, you may just want to draw one on cardboard and use the cardboard as a template to draw the rest of the hands.   Number of handprints needed depend on the size of the hand and how full you want the wreath to be. Cut around pen line with scissors.

After the hand prints have been cut out position them around the cardboard circle to ensure you have enough and get an idea of how you want them placed.  I wanted to see the handprints plainly, but for a fuller wreath, you can overlap the hand prints.














Paint the cardboard circle with acrylic paint (I chose gold) and allow to dry.














Put glue around the outer edges of the cardboard circle, then position the hands the way you want them on the cardboard.  If you choose to layer the hand prints, start at the top and glue each at the edge separately.














In the past have used a hand print in the center and fav picture in center of that handprint, which is cute for younger children.  On this wreath I used a decorative pick I got for .35 cents last year on clearance for a slightly more grown up look.   I stuck the bottom of the pick hear the edge of the bottom handprint and pushed in slightly, then taped in down in the back.

Tie the ribbon around the pick to make a bow.


 Add glue to the back of the pick.



Glue pop tab to top back edge of the cardboard so the wreath can be hung.  I also taped applied tape over the glue after it dried.


3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm pretty sure my little girls would love to make this!

    Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment about my wreath. I love the little helpers. They just came to live with me about 10 days ago. They fit right in and I can't remember what we did without them!

    ~Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Great idea to use a pop tab for hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I should do this with my kids this year. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and for leaving me the link to that recipe! I'll definitley try it out!

    ReplyDelete