Bookmark and Share

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Bicycle Dress from T-Shirt

 This size 3-4 girls dress was made using a free pattern and instructions by Dana from "Made" using a large t-shirt.  The only variations that I made is instead of freezer paper stenciling a banana for the "Warhol" dress, I used free clip art from The Graphics Fairy of a Vintage Bicycle and added a ruffle at the bottom using a decorative stitch.

Items used:
  • Free pattern and instructions from Dana from "Made"
  • The Graphics Fairy of a Vintage Bicycle
  • T-Shirt (I used a women's large)
  • 2 pieces of fabric 2 1/2 inches by 26 inch fabric for bow
  • 1 piece of fabric 2 inches by 36 inches for ruffle
  • Printer and paper
  • Black fabric paint
  • Scissors
  • Iron
  • Sewing machine and matching thread 
  • Straight pins 

I followed the instructions up to cutting out and stitching armholes and gather stitching, but before stitching together I printed off a half-page image of the bike then played around with where I wanted to position it on the dress.








 Using the black fabric paint I went over all of the black lines with black paint the positioned it on the t-shirt with the paint side down and lightly patted it down to transfer the image (Note:  it will be a mirror image to whatever image you are transferring, so it won't work with lettering).




For the remainder of the dress, I followed the instructions.

I also added a two inch ruffle (approximately 1 yd wide) at the bottom, using an iron to press up a 1/2 inch hem then stitching down and using a gather stitch at the top.  I then sewed the ends together, pinned underneath the shirt at the hem then applied the decorative stitch to finish.

Linking up to:

No comments:

Post a Comment